Bob Pennycook, S.C.A.
Tweed, Ontario, Canada
I’m inspired by the landscape that surrounds me. I live in the country where I can look out my studio door and see only forests and pastures. My art, then, is an expressive interpretation of the shapes, colors, textures, rhythm and patterns of that landscape.
Using a personal approach to color, I build layers of patterns through soaking, scraping, wiping and direct painting techniques. Color provides the emotional impact; the techniques complete the story.
I’m a painter and printmaker. I work in both oils and acrylics for my paintings and my prints are both monoprints and relief prints.
I’ve been a working artist for 25 years and my work has been featured in juried shows in both Canada and the United States.
I’m an elected member of the Society of Canadian Artists and I’ve taught art both in my home studio and throughout North America.
My work is part of collections in Canada, England, Japan, the U.S. and Costa Rica and I’m currently represented by Studio 87 in Perth, Ontario and Quinn’s of Tweed, in Tweed, Ontario.
- 2022: Society of Canadian Artists Elected Members Juried Show, Pointe Claire, QC, Oct.
- 2019: Society of Canadian Artists Elected Members Juried Show, Pointe Claire, QC, Oct.
- 2019: Belleville Art Association annual juried show
- 2018: Federation of Canadian Artists Juried Members Show, Jan., Vancouver, BC
- 2017: Belleville Art Association, annual juried show, Best in Show
- 2017: East Central Ontario annual juried show, Belleville, ON
- 2017: Society of Canadian Artists Elected and Associate Members Juried Exhibition, May, Art Square Gallery, Toronto, ON
- 2017: Society of Canadian Artists Elected Members Juried Exhibition, June, Gallery 78, Fredericton, NB
- 2017: Federation of Canadian Artists Juried Members Show, Feb., Vancouver, BC
- 2016: Society of Canadian Artists Elected Members Juried Exhibition; May, St. John’s NF
- 2015: Society of Canadian Artists Elected Members Juried Exhibition; November, Flato Theatre, Markham, ON
- 2015: Warkworth Art in the Park, May
- 2015: solo show Sterling Art Gallery, Sterling, ON, June
- 2015: Art Among the Ruins, June:
- 2015: Rednersville Road Art Tour, Labour Day weekend
- 2014: outdoor art fairs: Warkworth, ON and Oakville, ON
- Parrott Gallery, Belleville Public Library, solo show, March 7-30, 2013
- Belleville Art Association juried show, 2010, Juror’s Choice Awards
- “Canadian Landscape”, juried show; Agnes Jamieson Gallery, Minden, ON, 2010
- Quinte Arts Council, Art in the Community, 2010
- Belleville Art Association, “People and Places” show, 2010
- Belleville Art Association, “Artists Choice” show, 2010
- Belleville Art Association, “Friends” show, 2010
- Tweed Studio tour, 2010
- Quinte Art Council Art in the Community, solo show, 2009
- Belleville Art Association, open show, People’s Choice Award, 2009
- Belleville Art Association, textiles, 2009
- Richeson75, landscape juried show, Wisconsin, 2006
- Art in the Gardens, Sherway Gardens, Toronto, group show, 2006
- Common Threads, national juried textile exhibition, Oakville, ON, Canada, 2005
Prior to 2005:
- Society of Canadian Artist, national open juried show, Toronto
- Southeastern Pastel Association, Atlanta, Georgia, biannual international juried show
- Central Ontario Art Association, annual regional juried show
- Art Gallery of Peel, Brampton, ON, regional juried show
- Visual Arts Mississauga, Mississauga, ON, annual juried show
- Visual Arts Brampton, Brampton, ON, annual juried show
- Salmagundi Club, New York, NY, juried show
- Studio 87, Perth, Ontario
- Quinn’s of Tweed, Tweed, Ontario
- Food For Thought Show and Auction; 2017; Central Hastings Support Network; food bank, Madoc, ON; annual donation
- GelliArts, Philadelphia, PA, design advisory committee member, design team member
- GelliArts, Philadelphia, PA, commissioned monoprint purchase
- GelliArts, Philadelphia, PA, design work used for product
- Quinte Children’s Aid Society art rental, 2010
- Co-operators Insurance, art rental 2010
- Quinte Children’s Aid Society art rental 2009
- CreativFestival, Toronto, closing banquet featured co-speaker, 2007
- Elected member of the Society of Canadian Artists
- Art training at the following:
- Ontario College of Art, 1981-1985
- Emily Carr University, Vancouver, continuing education
Workshops, course and programs at:
- Three Schools
- Sheridan College
- Humber College
- University of Waterloo
- York University
- Toronto School of Art
- Golden Artist Educator training
- Teacher’s Spectrum newsletter, Loew-Cornell, interview, 2004
- Teacher’s Spectrum newsletter, Loew-Cornell, “designing for magazines”, 2002
- Traditions Magazine, Sheridan College Alumni, feature on my art, late 1990s
- Featured artist on Tweed Studio Tour website, 2010
- Canadian Living Magazine, 2010, featured artist used to promote Tweed Studio Tour
- Art mentioned in “Strategies for Active Living After 50” by Jim and Olga McDonald, 2003
- Work featured on Magic Metallics website
- Work featured on Painters Paradise website
- 1996 to 2008: instructional step by step projects for the following magazines; Paintworks; Quick and Easy Painting; The Decorative Artists Magazine; Decorative Artists Workbook; Tole World; Painting.
- Celebrate St. Nicholas, a collection of hand painted Santas; one of 50 artists invited to paint a design, 2009
- 1996 to 2008: authored 12 step by step instructional decorative painting books
- Other than art: author of Building with Glass Blocks, Doubleday, 1998 and DIY Home Repair, Key Porter, 1992
- Have licensed my work through Penny Lane Publishing; Porterfields Fine Art and Sagebrush Publishing for use on trivets, trays, cutting boards, candles, posters and greeting cards. Clients have included Evergreen, Highland Graphics, Crossroads and Current.
- Selected fine art workshops throughout Eastern Ontario
- Have taught decorative painting seminars for the past 15 years in Canada and the United States. I taught weekend seminars for chapters of the Society of Decorative Painters and have taught from Honolulu to Long Island, from Grand Forks to Houston
- Painting workshops for Decoupage Guild of Canada; Belleville Art Association; Art in the Schools through the Toronto Board of Education
- Selected invitational retreat teaching in Niagara Falls. 2006 and Peterborough Ontario, 2001 and 2002
- Coast to Coast Decorative Painting Convention, Toronto teaching and exhibiting,
- Heart of Ohio Tole Convention, Columbus, Ohio
- Society of Decorative Painters convention, Wichita, KS, Charlotte, NC and Nashville, TN
- Studio art classes
- Painting classes for Community Care Northumberland