Painting with Sgrafitto, Gel Medium and Molding Paste
Paint a landscape using a gel medium background and thick acrylic paint to create soft, subtle gradations of color.
Oct. 12, 2018
10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
At Bob’s studio:
20 North Hawkins Bay Rd
Tweed, ON, K0K 3J0
Class cost is $50
We’ll do a small step by step landscape to get you started then you’ll be free to create your own image. We start with a layer of gel medium. This will help spread the paint. The rest of the painting is created using paint mixed with molding paste and applied with a palette knife. The molding paste creates the texture and the gel helps to blend the color on the painting.
Then, we scratch through the still-wet painting to create line work, exposing a colored background. I used thick lines and scratches on the image above but, the painting stays wet enough that you can add whatever mark making you prefer.
- Several small canvases (8×10, 12×12, 11×14) We work wet in wet so you won’t need to wait for a surface to dry before completing the image
- Your choice of acrylic paints (I used Cad Free Yellow Medium, Cad Free Orange – both Liquitex; Transparent Red Iron Oxide; Phthalo Blue, Green Shade; Titanium White)
- Molding paste
- Gel medium (regular or soft)
- Palette knives (as many as you have)
- Vinyl/nitrile gloves
- Regular painting supplies (water bucket, apron, a few brushes, paper towels
- Reference material
Cost of the workshop is $50 and is payable in advance either by cheque (sent to the Tweed address above) or by e-transfer. A full refund will be given if you cancel the class by Oct 7. A 50 per cent refund will be given after that up to and including the class day.
Maximum class size is 6.
- There is a good bed and breakfast in Tweed, and several hotels in Belleville (30 to 40 minute drive from Tweed).
- I will have baked goods and coffee throughout the class but we won’t be taking a lunch break since the hours are short. Therefore, if you need to eat a lunch during the class, please brown bag some food. After the class, if you’re hungry, there are a few restaurants in Tweed and several more in Belleville.
- This is a country studio. That means well water and septic. That means all dirty water will be poured into a bucket for later disposal by me and all clean water will be scooped out of a clean water bucket. There is no running water in the studio.
- Since I chose not to drill for a well and to install a septic for the studio, that means washrooms are in the house which is about 15 feet away from the studio. We have a raised bungalow with a washroom on the ground level floor and the main washroom on the main floor which is about 12 steps above ground.
If you have any questions, send me an email or give me a phone call.
I look forward to painting with you.